Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Blogger Omnibus

Okay, so I haven't blogged in days and days. I've been busy -- not as busy as I probably should have been, but busy nonetheless.

Friday did absolutely no exercise. None. Well, unless you count the 7-block walk to the pub, and the 7-block walk back from the pub. Which of course didn't come anywhere near compensating for the pints of cider. One does what one can.

Saturday was "Mom Day", where we went down to Lacey and did some errands for her. Again, no real exercise.

Sunday was "Run Day" -- where Wil came back strong and speedy on his Achilles and ran > 3 miles. We ran together around Green Lake once, stopping to walk at Wil's 1-mile mark and 2-mile mark. I say Wil's marks, because my sensor wasn't functioning quite right. I didn't get my 1-mile mark until about 1.5 by Wil's sensor, and I didn't hit 2 until after I'd gone around the lake once. Admittedly, I'd walked for 5 minutes to warm up, but unless I was walking Very Quickly, I didn't walk over a mile in those 5 minutes. When Wil hit 3 on his sensor, he turned to walk in the other direction and meet me. I kept going, and ran almost 2/3rds of the way around the lake before running in to Wil, who turned and ran with me back to where the car was. At some point I finally hit "4", though by that point I must have run over 5. After going around the lake two times, when I should have been at 5.6, I was only at 4.5. Being the sort of person who needs the carrot, I couldn't make myself keep running. I was cold and frustrated, so I decided to stop.

I did, however, amuse myself by thinking "I know what you're thinking. 'Did she run six miles or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a Nike+ sensor, the most powerful motivator in my world, which doesn't seem to function in cold weather, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel tired? Well, do ya, punk?"

Okay, maybe it was only funny at the time.

Monday was really, really cold -- literally freezing. We had decided to go for a bike ride, but couldn't face the idea. The minute you got out of the sun, it felt arctic. So we tidied the house in the morning and then went for a long walk through Myrtle Edwards Park and the Sculpture Park.

Today we were both back at work, but went to the gym downtown to run. Wil ran for 3 miles, while I ran for 45 minutes. In the sweltering, airless gym, my sensor worked just fine, logging 4.25 miles. Not the fastest run, but I ran at a 1.0 incline.

After tonight's Tolkien lecture we got home to discover our heart rate monitors had been delivered. I try not to worry when my pulse "stops", and Wil tries not to worry when his pulse registers at 220. We assume it's the crazy wireless interference in this very wireless house.

No comments:

Post a Comment